Helen Price Johnson’s opponent recently launched a negative TV ad distorting her record as a County Commissioner with the classic Republican assaults.
Let’s speak the truth about Helen’s record on taxes:
1. Helen is a fiscally responsible leader who has delivered a balanced budget in Island County for 12 years.
2. She began her first term as Commissioner as the Great Recession began, and made the tough decisions necessary to cut government spending by 20% while maintaining essential County services. She also donated back a portion of her salary to share in the sacrifice she was asking from furloughed County employees.
3. Helen knows the value of a dollar and hard work, as she and her husband Dave have owned and operated a small business for over 25 years, and have put their four children through college.
4. Island County operates with among the lowest property tax rates in the State.
5. Helen voted each year, usually joined by one or more of her Republican colleagues, to take the 1% tax increase allowed by law for the County’s operating budget, the County’s road fund and the Conservation Futures fund. Those 1% increases do not come close to keeping up with inflation.
6. The Commissioners control only 17% of Island County revenues, and they allocate the largest chunk of that to Public Safety programs. ... See MoreSee Less
Skagit County Democrats stand with Helen Price Johnson as she provides the facts in response to disinformation from her opponents.
Helen has consistently worked to balance the need for county services with the desire for low taxes. She has invested much of her adult life in public service. And she has paid attention to and supported our local farmers. I have no doubt that she will continue her good work as a state senator!